Sunday, September 5, 2010

A bag for Ruru


My DD is in Japan this semester. She has a host family for a home stay, because Tokyo International University doesn't have dorms. The family has a little girl.

Naturally, we got some omiyage, like kona coffee, chocolate covered macadamia nuts, etc., for her to take up. We decided to make the girl a bag using some cute hawaiian print fabric. My DD chose the fabrics, made the lettering and I did the rest. It took me 3 days, of course, I didn't work on it continuously...I had to go to work. lol.

The first picture is of the bag with 1-1/2" wide handles. I actually got done with it a little earlier, but decided that the handles made the bag look funny because they were too wide and too long. I ended up taking it apart and redoing the handles. I shortened the handles and made them 1" wide. It looked so much better.

This was one of the few times that I actually made something without a pattern. This is also the first time I  put a pocket on the inside of the bag. I don't know if you can see it in the last picture.

We thought it turned out really cute.

2 comments:

K and S said...

very nice, I hope she likes it :)

Suze said...

Thanks, Kat...I hope she likes it too. : )